Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology
The Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology is a substantial vocational qualification that will prepare you for a career as a nail technician.
This qualification is designed to support you to gain employment as a nail technician, as the units contained in this qualification cover all the skills and knowledge required for this role.
This is a vocational qualification and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a nail technician including, mandatory units covering the following: providing manicures and pedicures, applying and maintaining nail enhancements, maintaining personal health and well-being, health and safety and client care.
You will also have the opportunity to further develop your understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units which include: designing and applying nail art, air brush designs, enhancing nails with electric files, promoting products and displaying stock to promote sales. The structure of this qualification provides you with the flexibility to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills required to become a nail technician.
Throughout this qualification you will develop your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology, health and safety, client care and nail products and equipment. You will develop a range of technical skills enabling you to provide a variety of nail enhancement treatments using different techniques. You will also develop interpersonal skills that will assist you to communicate effectively with clients.
This qualification will prepare you for employment as a nail technician. You will also be eligible to join a professional association and gain insurance as a nail technician. Career opportunities as a nail technician exist in a variety of contexts, including:
- Working in a commercial nail salon
- Working in a retail concession ‘nail bar’
- Working independently/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK’s leading professional association, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) as being fit for purpose for preparing you for a career as a nail technician. Holders of this qualification are eligible to become a professional member of BABTAC.
A Career as a nail technician
Nail technicians repair, paint and decorate clients’ nails.
Average salary (a year)
£12,500 Starter – £25,000 Experienced
Typical hours (a week)
38 to 40, working evenings / weekends (flexibly)
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with your hands
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- customer service skills
- to be flexible and open to change
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- concentration skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- basic treatments, like manicures and pedicures
- cleaning and filing nails
- applying false nails or extensions
- decorating nails with coloured varnish, transfers, gems or glitter
- repairing, looking after and removing false nails and extensions
- checking for any signs of skin or nail problems before treatment
You could work in a salon, at a health spa, on a cruise ship, from home or at a client’s home.